Sunday, November 9, 2014

Getting Back In The Swing Of Things

Hey everybody, so as most of you know I was in Kansas for a week for the birth of my nephew. I've been doing my best to get back into the swing of things here on the internet as well as in real life. It's going slower than I would have hoped, but I think I'm finally getting into my routine again.

I finished Frostbite, the second book in the Vampire Academy series, a couple of days ago and it was pretty good. I wasn't as into as the first book but as far as sequels go it wasn't terrible. I only have a couple of issues with it. One thing I had a problem with in the first book as well, is the narrative. I'm not a huge fan of first person POV's and even though I like Rose as a character, I get really sick of being in her head all the time. Don't get me wrong, she's a badass, but I find Rose a bit whiny and as much I love some good teenage angst; that's pretty much all you get from her. It takes me a few chapters to get past it. The other problem I had was the end battle. It felt super rushed to me. We spent an annoying amount of time on Rose's melodramatic boy problems but we couldn't spend a few more pages on the only real action we get in the book? That being said, I did appreciate how a certain characters death was handled. It hurt me. A lot. But I think it was important for Rose's development. I'd give it a 3 out of 5 stars.

Now I'm re-reading Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief as part of the Percy Jackson read-a-long over on goodreads. I always miss Percy, his sass is some of my favorite. It's been four or five years since I first read the series and I'm really looking forward to getting to know it again.

I also started Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter. I'm only a couple of chapters in but I'm really enjoying it so far. Unlike in VA, I'm really digging the first person POV. Alice is a great character, she's snarky and I like the backstory we get from her right off the bat. I can't wait to get back to it and I think I'm gonna love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment