Friday, October 24, 2014

Mary: The Summoning by: Hillary Monahan

Okay guys, this book was freaking creepy. It's about a group of four friends who summon Bloody Mary who in turn starts to haunt our main female, Shauna. Even though it's based off of an urban legend I'm sure we're all familiar with it still managed to feel like a new story. The mythology behind Mary was a version I haven't heard before and petrified me.

I love urban legends, horror movies, and all things creepy so this book was right up my alley. I ended up giving it 4/5 stars over on goodreads for several reasons. I loved the characters, the group of girls reminded me so much of my group of friends from high school that I almost called them to make sure they were okay. I liked that the friendships weren't perfect but were filled with loyalty. And when (SPOILER ALERT) Anna gets killed I cried a bit. Though, I do cry at books all the time...

I also loved the writing, it got to the point but still painted a clear picture and was full of detail. It had me completely hooked. I started the book this afternoon and despite a small trip to the bookshop  I couldn't put it down.

The main reason I loved this book is that it legitimately managed to creep me out. I have to go wash my face but I'm petrified that Mary will be there when I look up. Bloody Mary has always been a story that gets under my skin. I have no idea why but it's the only one that really does freak me out. But it is Halloween month, so some scary was in order. And Hillary Monahan did such an amazing job at getting the scare across. Her style of writing is perfect for a horror novel, the fast pace makes everything feel so intense. It was the horror work I've been longing for. That being said, I'm definitely going to go read a more mellow book next.

So, if you're looking for that perfect, Halloween, scare the crap out of yourself read, this book is for you. Now if you'll all excuse me, I have to go cover my mirrors and other shiny surfaces.

Have a good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment