Thursday, October 9, 2014

Uh-Oh

Guys, I think I'm in a reading slump. Which is kinda hard for me to admit right off the bat, but it's happening. I read a lot last month, and I think  I may have fried my brain a bit. I'm just not as excited to pick either of the books I'm reading up as I normally would be. But there could be other reasons, right? Maybe it's not a dreaded slump but something else?

I think that's actually true. I'm currently reading the Fellowship of the Ring, and even though I love J.R.R. Tolkien's writing I'm just not sucked into the story. I do love the story, however,  it's one of my favorite movies of all time. But I think that's making it harder to read. There are so many books and stories I want to get to that I haven't felt the urge to re-read anything in ages. Even though I've never read the book before it still feels like a re-read because I know the characters and the plot so well from the movies. But I'm determined to read the series so I can feel like a true fan. It won't be back to back or fast though.

The other book I'm reading is called Unnatural Creatures, which is a bunch of short stories written by various authors selected and partially written by Neil Gaiman. I actually really like the stories, they're so well written, brilliant, and entertaining. But the problem with such short stories is that I'm not invested in any characters and therefor not as drawn back to the book. It's still really good though and I fully intend to finish it.

I suppose another issue is Netflix. I've recently learned to love Numbers and it's been sucking up a ton of my time. They also put the second season of the Following up, so that hasn't helped either. Seriously, if you haven't seen that show you really should go check it out, it's absolutely brilliant and there are a ton of literary themes throughout.

Well, no matter what the reason for my reading slump the only thing a person can really do is wait it out. I know that if I try and force myself to read for hours like I normally do, I'll just get bitter about the books and make this slump thing even worse. So here's to hoping for a speedy recovery.

Thanks for reading and until next time, have a good life!

No comments:

Post a Comment